Neither iPhone or OpenMoko are revolutionary

Renaissance Man renaissanceman at macmail.com
Thu Jan 18 12:33:17 CET 2007

On 18 Jan 2007, at 10:22 am, Attila Csipa wrote:

> On Thursday 18 January 2007 10:01, Renaissance Man wrote:
>> The problem with the Nokia E Series, N80s, and Windows smartphones
>> is that they're either very expensive and/or they don't actually
>> make VoIP via WiFi easy.
>
> Why should they risk? They are selling millions of handsets through
> carriers, and they sure don't want to lose those contracts.

And, as is often the case, someone else's risk is another's opportunity.

All your arguments against WiFi on the Neo seem a little moot, as
it's pretty clear from what people are saying that it will have WiFi;
it's just a matter of time.

I just wish it had been on the first model because I would have had
all my needs fulfilled. As it stands I'm in the market for something
else now, and may even end up with an iPhone if Apple includes VoIP
via WiFi before OpenMoko. I wish this not just for my own selfish
reasons but because I'd like to see an open product like OpenMoko bet
out a closed product like iPhone (even though I'm a life-long Mac user).

Renaissance Man