Neither iPhone or OpenMoko are revolutionary

Renaissance Man renaissanceman at macmail.com
Thu Jan 18 12:41:43 CET 2007

On 18 Jan 2007, at 2:37 am, David Schlesinger wrote:

> The NEO's not _cheap_ ...

I was talking about value-for-money cheap, not capital cost. In this
sense the Neo is cheap. I just happen to be in the market for a smart
phone, but there's nothing in my argument that precludes someone
making a plain unlocked phone with GSM/WiFi VoIP.

> I really doubt that [near zero-cost mobile communication will be
> revolutionary] ... Cheap phone service ... is one of the least
> interesting ... When I worked at Apple, I had a sign up on my
> office for a while that read, "When the revolution comes, things
> will be _different_! (Not _better_, just_different_.)"

Well Steve Jobs talks about the iPod being a revolution, and the Mac.
Neither of which were the first of their kind. They simply got the
package right. That's what made them revolutionary.

Renaissance Man