Why do I want WiFi?

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Thu Jan 18 14:21:48 CET 2007

On Thursday 18 January 2007 13:25, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
> On Thursday 18 January 2007 09:54, Renaissance Man wrote:
> > > Seamless swapping needs the carriers' help. And they won't do it
> > > for free, rest assured.
> >
> > Already being done. See http://truphone.com
>
> Doesn't really say how it works. "An all  SIP solution" doesnt really sound
> like it could ever be seamless with GSM. I'd really like to know just how
> this supposed to work, because if they pulled this off, it would be really
> huge.
Hi,
I was at their presentation at VON Berlin, and if I understand correctly, they
will try to send an incoming call to your SIP UA first, and if it is
unreachable they will forward it to your GSM line.
The same goes for outgoing calls.
I don't think they suggest that the same call would switch between hotspot /
gsm / hotspot without interuption at the moment.
You can sign-up for a free account if you have an S60 OS Nokia phone, from
anywhere in the world basically. They seem to be in the 'give it all away for
free to get some market-share' phase.

Here's the presentation they gave:
http://www.openser.org/events/2006-OpenSER-Summit/slides/openser-summit-2006_04_james.body_truphone-reversing-the-paradigm.pdf

At the time the presentation did seems a little 'too good to be true' to me
though, given that nobody at VON could manage to get their Nokia e-series
phones to sync with the provided wifi, not even the people demoing the Nokia
e61 at the Nokia stand...

HTH
Richard.