Fwd: Why do I want WiFi?

Andreas Kostyrka andreas at kostyrka.org
Thu Jan 18 14:26:30 CET 2007

* Jean-Philippe Monteiro <joaophilippe.mb.monteiro at gmail.com> [070118 03:38]:
> On Thursday 18 January 2007 09:25, you wrote:
> > Thankfully most of this can be done over Bluetooth.  At least with
> > linux computers you'll be able to access it as a network device, and
> > you'll be able to run smb or sshfs albeit at reduced speed.  Neos
> > won't be islands, even when untethered from USB. :)
> >
> > - Chad
>
> I was not aware Bluethoot is Network-Capable - Haven't got one, neither on
> desktop or notebook, and believed Bluethoot was kinda USB-Wireless (wireless
> Keyboards, some games, send of vCard) & not fully Ethernet-like.

Then learn before you start to whine.
BT even in the most basic version will be enough for 90% of the
intended WiFi uses. Should we get some better BT, it can basically do
almost everything that WiFi can do and more. (Beside being WiFi
compatible *g*)

> Need to set up a server though, it won't just access my Linksys Box :(
Yeah, it's not WiFi. OTOH, at home that's not much an issue (USB
Bluetooth doongles are cheap), and on the road you won't be using much
WiFi hotspots (expensive, login page, etc.)

Andreas