Fwd: Why do I want WiFi?

Andreas Kostyrka andreas at kostyrka.org
Thu Jan 18 14:29:21 CET 2007

* Alexander McLeay <alexander at thecartographers.net> [070118 06:23]:
> On 1/18/07, Rod Whitby <rod at whitby.id.au> wrote:
> >I also connect to IRC, can ssh, and surf the web, all over the bluetooth
> >connection.
> >
> >I expect to be able to do the same with the Neo, except that it will be
> >a true PAN BT connection rather than the ppp over serial BT connection
> >that I use now.
>
> What sort of speed does this give you? Is it actually good enough for

basic BT has a bandwidth of 768kbits/s if I remember right. And it's
good enough for High-Fidelity earphones, especially considering that
it support Quality-of-Service, which you don't get with pure WiFi stuff.

Andreas

> People have mentioned interference between Wifi and Bluetooth: Is this
> an insuperable problem, or can I make one or the other operate on a
They use the same frequency. In practice with the Nokia9500, after
enabling WiFi, the earphone goes dead quite quickly :(

Andreas