Neither iPhone or OpenMoko are revolutionary

Andreas Kostyrka andreas at kostyrka.org
Thu Jan 18 17:04:48 CET 2007

* Renaissance Man <renaissanceman at macmail.com> [070118 12:36]:
> On 18 Jan 2007, at 10:22 am, Attila Csipa wrote:
>
> >On Thursday 18 January 2007 10:01, Renaissance Man wrote:
> >>The problem with the Nokia E Series, N80s, and Windows smartphones is that they're either very expensive and/or they don't actually make VoIP via WiFi easy.
> >
> >Why should they risk? They are selling millions of handsets through carriers, and they sure don't want to lose those contracts.
>
> And, as is often the case, someone else's risk is another's opportunity.
>
> All your arguments against WiFi on the Neo seem a little moot, as it's pretty clear from what people are saying that it will have WiFi; it's just a matter of time.
>
> I just wish it had been on the first model because I would have had all my needs fulfilled. As it stands I'm in the market for something else now, and may even end up with an iPhone if
> Apple includes VoIP via WiFi before OpenMoko. I wish this not just for my own selfish reasons but because I'd like to see an open product like OpenMoko bet out a closed product like

I don't think so. You seem to have missed the detail, that iPhone will
be offered this year on one (1!!!!) US network this year. They don't
even say if it's GSM or not. (Probably.) They have not yet told with
which networks they intend to cooperate in Europe. Even if it's GSM,
there is no telling if they will work on other GSM networks:

*) frequencies are different in the US as in Europe.
*) the data part of the phone might depend upon network details. E.g.
a Sidekick won't work on a different network. Well the voice part
will, because they tend to be not-simlocked, but all the advanced data
services won't, as the exact configuration is burned into the
firmware, which is carrier specific.

So the chances are good that OpenMoko phones will have WiFi before the
iPhone will be available in the UK are pretty good *g*

Andreas