Neither iPhone or OpenMoko are revolutionary

thomas.cooksey at bt.com thomas.cooksey at bt.com
Thu Jan 18 17:53:16 CET 2007

I work for BT, who have been trying to get WIFI VoIP working for _YEARS_. It's very, very difficult and has lots of problems:

1) As several other people have mentioned, the first problem is coverage. A typical access point will only have 50m - 100m of coverage.

2) There's no guaranteed RF bandwidth (On GSM you get a dedicated chunk of bandwidth just for you which no-one else can use). On Wifi, everyone shares the available RF bandwidth, which is usually <11Mbs.

3) The backhaul network (i.e. the internet) is fairly unreliable as far as VoIP is concerned. GSM networks usually have a circuit switched backhaul like SDH, so again, guaranteed bandwidth. There are IP QoS solutions out there, but there difficult to implement well. Having said all that, it is far, far better than it was.

4) Most access points are usually connected using ADSL. The 'A' bit of ADSL is the problem here. VoIP requires a lot of upload bandwidth, which ADSL doesn't provide.

5) Most access points have firewalls meaning VoIP has to tunnel through them using HTTP, confusing any backhaul QoS (How can the network tell the difference between your time-critical VoIP call and someone downloading a 4GB DVD image?)

6) Again as people have pointed out, a roaming Wifi contract is very, VERY expensive (e.g. £40 per month)

7) Power. Even the low power wifi chipsets are very power hungry. I guess you could argue that during a call, GSM draws a fair bit of power but it's nowhere near that of a wifi chipset. GSM actively changes its power output so it only uses what it needs to reach the base station. Although the more advanced Wifi chipsets can also change their power output, it's not done very well and typically only have 3 power settings (including on and off!). I use Marvel's 88W8385 chipset which is designed specifically for mobile applications and have been very disappointed with its power consumption. I guess with a regular Lithium Ion/Polymer phone battery you'd be lucky to get 30 minutes of talk time. When it comes to standby however, the power requirements of wifi don't drop too much whereas GSM drops to almost nothing. GSM Idle really is amazing. All a hand unit needs to do is transmit a short keep-alive every few minutes to let the last station know it's still there.

Like I say, BT has been working on this for ages and DO have a solution: BT Fusion (http://www.bt.com/btfusion/). It uses your own home/work access point if your in range, then switches to BT OpenZone access points, then drops to GSM if your not covered by WiFi. I think there's also some magic to move you onto GSM if you move out of range of Wifi DURING a call.

BTW: I have absolutely nothing to do with Fusion development and am probably wrong about all of its features. This information is my own personal understanding of the technology and is not supported by BT whatsoever.

Cheers,

Tom