what is the difference between openMoko and windows mobile based phones

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Thu Jan 18 22:21:07 CET 2007

Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> Dnia czwartek, 18 stycznia 2007 20:23, Robert Michel napisał:
>
>> this NSLU2 box is new - I desided to buy a NSLU2 because it is also ARM
>> powered like the Neo1973 :)
>
> Your NSLU2 is/will be also powered by distro built with usage of the same
> buildsystem as Neo1973 - OpenEmbedded.
>
>> and it is supported by the Debian installer.
>
> Because NSLU2 hackers create own project, then joined OE to improve it (OE
> and nslu2-linux project) and finally they helped Debian.

and OpenWRT, and Gentoo, ... nslu2-linux is distribution agnostic :-)

> Due to their
> work ARM is not 3rd architecture in Debian and NSLU2 is iirc most popular
              ^^^ now
> ARM machine in Debian.

Indeed.  See http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3535328630.html

Perhaps we can do the same for the Neo, and make it the third most
popular mobile phone ... ;-)

I am expecting to get a developer device so I can ensure that the NSLU2
SlugOS distribution (which is built using OpenEmbedded, and shares lots
of basic infrastructure applications with OpenMoko) has all the
capabilities to fully network/sync/etc with the Neo via bluetooth and
USB.  All you will need is a USD$80 NSLU2 and a USD$20 USB bluetooth
dongle (although I recommend the Linksys USBBT100 which will set you
back USD$40) for your home server.  You can even add a USB disk drive
and do lots of other stuff too.

[Yes, this *is* a blatant attempt to make sure that I am on the
developer device early-access list :-)]

-- Rod Whitby
-- NSLU2-Linux Project Lead