Neither iPhone or OpenMoko are revolutionary

Andreas Kostyrka andreas at kostyrka.org
Thu Jan 18 23:22:17 CET 2007

* Renaissance Man <renaissanceman at macmail.com> [070118 23:06]:
> On 18 Jan 2007, at 9:42 pm, Sencer wrote:
>
> >Everbody gets what you are saying. It is you who does not understand that it is largely irrelevant, because everybody already is in favour of having wifi at some point. The question
> >is not about the "plus" side of having wifi, but the question is with dealing with the costs of adding wifi to 1st generation device, which completely flies past you.
>
> No, that was just the argument some were projecting onto me; my argument isn't that "you must include wifi" in the Neo v1 no matter what the cost. My argument is that the GSM+WiFi/VoIP
> combination is a revolution waiting to happen and that OpenMoko clearly won't be player in this until it gets WiFi.
The point is, it's not a revolution. It might be a local revolution,
but e.g. in Germany/Austria there is NO flatfee WiFi provider. So the
local chapters of the revolution died, because all members went broke
on WiFi hotspot access charges *g*

> By the time it does get WiFi, however, the revolution may already have happened, and OpenMoko will simply be joining the bandwagon, which is a shame because of the potential mindshare
> in being a pioneer of such a device.
Technically speaking, the WiFi/VoIP has already happened in the Nokia
E/N series. Just that nobody really cares ;)

Andreas