Neither iPhone or OpenMoko are revolutionary

Andreas Kostyrka andreas at kostyrka.org
Fri Jan 19 00:40:44 CET 2007

* Renaissance Man <renaissanceman at macmail.com> [070119 00:00]:
> On 18 Jan 2007, at 10:23 pm, Marcel de Jong wrote:
>
> >I ask you, who will pay the bandwidth bills?
>
> The bandwidth bills are largely already paid (home and work are flat rate), plus free hotspots, plus there's flat rate hotspot schemes like The Cloud in Europe.

Well, TheCloud is mainly a UK provider. Definitly not an European one.
And they don't even tell what it costs on their German homepage. OTOH
they do have about 800 hotspots in Germany, mostly in Hotels.

Free hotspots aren't here that popular. Haven't seen or used one ever.

And for many people using their phone on the work network is a good
reason to get fired, if it works at all (because enterprise networks
often have only strictly limited access to the Internet).

> >Yes, Wifi on the Neo is cool, though it would slurp battery life. Given the choice, I'd rather have a long battery life (at least 24 hours) and no Wifi, then have Wifi and only be
> >able to use my phone for 5 hours (the estimated battery life of the iphone).

> No, that's the estimated battery time for continuous talking, video or web browsing. They say 16 hours for continuous music playback. But no word on standby time. Presumably more than
> 16 hours.

The problem is, that the only acceptable components for the OpenMoko
platforms are opensource compatible devices. Opensource friendly +
power efficient doesn't exist at the moment.

(btw, I don't know the motivation for the AGPS part, OTOH, it's only
an userspace daemon that is closed-source.)

Andreas