A FIC phone with a real keyboard - Was: OpenMoko ON the iPhone

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Sat Jan 20 00:30:26 CET 2007

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 04:07:40PM +0100, Torsten Röhl wrote:
> Why -  QWERTY keypad ? we have a wide screen 2,8 inch and i
> love the new iphone concept without qwerty keypad.  I hope that
> the next neo1973 generation phones are also iphone like (without qwerty
> keypad) ... i think a neo1973 next generation phone with qwerty keypad is
> just another phone and not more the wonderful neo1973 linux phone.

Ough!  I just can't imagine how to use emacs with this "new iphone
concept".  While this "new concept" is a fine thing for a phone,
I'd like to be able to do _real_ work with it. I'm a developer, so
my main tool is emacs, but there are more tasks (e.g. email/mail)
where a kbd would be usefull.  With a proper keyboard, we would have
a laptop-replacement.  No way to do _real_ work with a touchscreen.

Unless I can connect a _real_ keyboard (probably via usb), I don't
need this phone.  I like the concept and the idea, but... no kbd
implies no emacs...  No way.  Sorry.

Please note that I'm not talking about integrating a mini-keyboard
(like the original poster said).  I'm just talking about the possibility
to connect an usb-keyboard.

BTW: Any new information how long we have to wait for our new toy?