"2.5G NOT EDGE"

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 07:09:59 CET 2007

On 1/16/07, Craig St Jean <valiantsoul at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hello,
> Just wondering, does that mean its EVDO? Or something else? I have
> Cingular, which supports I believe only EDGE (2G and 2.5G?) and 3G.
> Could someone please expand on the "2.5G NOT EDGE" line?
>
> Thanks!

This will work fine on Cingular; Cingular's EDGE data network is an
extension to the long-used GPRS standard. exact same format, but a
different type of radio encoding used to gain speed. 100% backwards
compatible. However, this handset does not make use of the enhanced
EDGE capabilities, instead providing legacy GPRS data over GSM
networks such as Cingular.

It is definitively not EVDO, which is a CDMA-2000 family technology;
whereas the current Neo1973 is GSM centric to provide the most
widespread acceptance and usability.  EVDO/CDMA2000 has a very small
footprint in comparison to the GSM worldwide foodprint.  Their stance
is: get this device to the masses so they can create better apps for
it, then newer revisions will have faster data protocols, wifi, and
the like.

Mike