Free Your Phone

Renaissance Man renaissanceman at macmail.com
Sat Jan 20 11:19:50 CET 2007

On 20 Jan 2007, at 6:06 am, Sean Moss-Pultz wrote:

> We will sell the Neo1973 direct from openmoko.com for US$350 plus
> shipping. Sales and orders will be worldwide.

Does this mean it'll be shipping direct from openmoko.com with the
correct power plug for each country?

> The 2nd generation OpenMoko device will also be introduced at this
> time [2007-09-11].

Fantastic, this is before the launch of the 1st gen. iPhone in
Europe, Asia and Oceania.

> We have something special in the works, but again, you will help
> shape this device.

Heh, you certainly know how to create anticipation Sean. Hope it
includes WiFi! .... sorry had to get my plug in there.

> This will be the computer of the 21st century.

There's another interesting reason why this will almost certainly be
the case: if scientists are correct about global heating the energy
efficiency of any electrical device that will be ubiquitous on a
global scale is paramount. Such mobile devices are perfect in this
sense.

In fact, once photovoltaic cells are efficient enough it would be
great to have them form the shell of the case of one of these
devices. I quite like the wind-up technology used in the OLPC too.

The Renaissance Man