A FIC phone with a real keyboard - Was: OpenMoko ON the iPhone

Attila Csipa plists at prometheus.org.yu
Sat Jan 20 14:03:50 CET 2007

On Saturday 20 January 2007 10:19, Marc Verwerft wrote:
> You want one of these: http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8193/  ?

I tried one of those, five stars for coolness, one star for usability,
especially for our EMACS friend, it's not exactly meant for heavy typers.
You're likely better off with a stowaway BT keyboard (there are plenty of
others out there, but haven't tried them so hard to recommend), or, if you
can spare the space (like a car), the happy hacking keyboard. But PLEASE
consider the situation and TRY it out before you get heated up on heavy
typing (no, writing a letter is not heavy typing) on any small screen PDA or
phone - the screen is relatively small, so to see everything you have to get
close (especially on terminal/emacs type usage) - much closer than your
keyboard distance, which makes regular typing cumbersome. But then again, it
might be just that my eyesight is too poor for the technology :)