Text input, OpenMoko and Tengo

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Sat Jan 20 21:10:59 CET 2007

la, 2007-01-20 kello 15:48 +0100, Ulrik Rasmussen kirjoitti:
> That is patented? But how? It's basically a rearrangement of the buttons used
> on a regular cell phone.

Nowadays just about anything can be patented... But anyway, I fully
expect that many applications developed for the OpenMoko will infringe
patents in some jurisdictions, simply because of the prevalence of bad
patents.

That said, if it's an especially useful input system, which I haven't
determined for myself, somebody unencumbered could implement it
regardless of whether the patent (currently pending, as somebody said)
is granted or not. It would just stop the program from being adopted as
any kind of OpenMoko "standard" - nobody wants FIC in trouble over Moko,
especially FIC themselves. :]

--
Mikko Rauhala   - mjr at iki.fi     - <URL:http://www.iki.fi/mjr/>
Transhumanist   - WTA member     - <URL:http://www.transhumanism.org/>