Free Your Phone

Dave Crossland dave at
Sat Jan 20 22:59:37 CET 2007

On 20/01/07, David Schlesinger <david.schlesinger at> wrote:

> > So IMO this is clearly a GNU/Linux system.
> More than it's a "GTK/GNU/Linux" system...? Or an "X/GTK/GNU/Linux"
> system...? Or a "list your favorite twenty components/X/GTK/GNU/Linux"
> system...?
> This is silly stuff, in my opinion.

The FAQ for your particular question is at explains why this is not
silly, in depth.

I'm sorry if I've come across as making a silly suggestion - I am
being very earnest here.

I am not suggesting to call the system by my favourite component.
While the X Windowing System, GTK, and the Linux kernel are
components, "GNU" is not a component.

> If the Free Software Foundation wants to
> call something "GNU/Linux" that badly, let 'em put together their own
> distribution and call it whatever they like. is FSF sponsored, and removes all proprietary
software from the Ubuntu GNU/Linux distribution.