Free Your Phone

Richard Franks spontificus at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 00:13:49 CET 2007

On 1/20/07, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
> I was requesting that FIC's full title for the system replaces "Linux"
> with "GNU/Linux" for the good and clear reasons that we are familiar
> with, if it includes that name at all.

"Linux" as a marketing phrase is very well-established, "GNU/Linux"
may be the 'correct' term, but it's not as marketable by a *very* long
shot:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=linux,+gnu+linux,+gnu/linux&date=all&geo=all&ctab=0&sa=N

Changing the system title to include GNU/Linux, would increase public
awareness of GNU, but I don't see how it would directly improve the
technology or how it would sell more Neo's, and thus it feels more
like agenda-pushing.

Richard

PS. Are there people who actually say GNU/Linux in conversation and/or
correct themselves if they forget the GNU part?