exchange email?

Richi Plana myopenmoko at richip.dhs.org
Sun Jan 21 08:15:26 CET 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 15:55 -0800, Todd Conley wrote:
> I just started reading about openmoko today and am very excited. I
> manage 1200+ windows mobile phones for a corporation and have always
> wanted to be able to do so much with these devices. Are there any
> current open-source projects out there that will allow connections to
> exchange servers? I just implimented 500 x of the palm 700w , but the
> only good thing about that phone is how it handles exchange.

If you're looking for something that would allow the device to interact
with an MS Exchange Server, Novell's evolution Exchange connector works
pretty well. The entire system itself might be too big to put onto the
Neo, but I'm sure it should be possible to rip out just the
functionality and create an openmoko connector for the PIM client on the
phone.

If you're just interested in push email technology, there are a couple
of open standards-based solution. One that should exist in most open
source IMAP servers is IMAP IDLE <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2177>
(discussed here: http://www.isode.com/whitepapers/imap-idle.html). This
approach tries to leave an open connection / session with the server for
the server to send notifications to the IMAP client. Instead of polling
the server for new messages, an IMAP NOOP command can be sent at much
longer intervals just to keep the connection from timing out.

Another approach is Push-IMAP <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push-IMAP>
which is a real push email solution but is still in Draft. There's one
commercial entity that has already implemented the Draft spec
<http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS3164841120.html>

Funambol <http://www.funambol.com/opensource/> is yet another open
source solution, is written in Java and is based on the Open Mobile
Alliance Data Synchronization and Device Management protocols.
--

Richi Plana