Free Your Phone

Rok Ruzic rox at dhimahi.com
Sun Jan 21 10:14:52 CET 2007

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 10:12:22 +0000
Renaissance Man <renaissanceman at macmail.com> wrote:

> But it's comments like yours that turn it into something like a
> religion. The person who proposed this in the first place had a
> pragmatic argument, not a religious one. Relative to many of you I
> know little about GNU and Linux but I can certainly see the practical
> reasons for using the GNU/Linux moniker.
>
> In fact the *act* of actually *using* the term GNU/Linux instead of
> Linux seems to me so trivial I have a hard time understanding why
> some of you are so opposed to it and want to turn it into a religious
> discussion.

There is a clear distinction between the meanings of the two terms. Linux is just the kernel, while GNU/Linux is the OS, meaning kernel, tools, libraries etc.

If you use the term Linux for both, then you have ambiguity and can cause confusion. Nothing religious here, just the practical need to avoid ambuguity.

Kindly,
Rox