Wish for 2nd generation Neo: USB 2.0

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Sun Jan 21 00:06:31 CET 2007

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 10:23:24AM +0100, Sven Neuhaus wrote:
> Since everyone is drooling about the next iteration of the Neo which is
> exptected to include WiFi, I figured I'd add a request for USB 2.0. This
> allows us to use a USB VGA adapter
> (http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/06/08/add_a_monitor_using_usb/ - Linux
> driver available!). A VGA port enables the Neo2 to replace a laptop for
> doing presentations (in some cases) and you could even watch movies stored
> on its microSD card (or streamed by a BluOnyx) on a battery powered HMD! :-)

Thanks, this has actually already been on our wishlist for a future
generation of our phones.

The main problem (with more powerful SoC) is not to provide a USB2.0
host port in the device.  The main problem is power.  You need a pretty
powerful DC/DC step-up converter to provide the 5V power supply to the
USB bus.  And you have to provide at least up to 100mA - but to support
all devices, 500mA.

Most mobile devices today are on very low power, 3.3V usually is the
highest supply voltage you have anywhere, moving lower and lower every
generation.

Cheers,