Free Your Phone

Sean Moss-Pultz sean_mosko at fic.com.tw
Sun Jan 21 15:28:21 CET 2007

On 1/21/07 4:57 AM, "Dave Crossland" <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> On 20/01/07, Sean Moss-Pultz <sean_mosko at fic.com.tw> wrote:
>>
>> the OpenMoko Linux Distribution
>
> Can the FIC marketting department call it 'the OpenMoko GNU/Linux
> Distribution'?

We'll just call it OpenMoko. I think short simple branding will be key for
us if we want main stream appeal. Don't worry though, I have something
special in the form of a user's manual that will give credit to GNU.

> Given that the free software nature of the phone is its primary
> feature, it seems strange not to acknowledge the GNU project, which is
> the whole reason there is free software at all...

We will definitely acknowledge this.

>> Join us. "Free Your Phone."
>
> I totally love this catch phrase! I hope that the FIC marketting uses
> it as the official tagline of all its openmoko devices!

It will for sure! This just popped into my head one day while taking a
shower. I think it's really started to stick. Plus somebody who knows
_nothing_ about Free Software can still related to it.

Thanks for your comments!

-Sean