Free Your Phone

David Ford david at blue-labs.org
Sun Jan 21 16:42:10 CET 2007

The point you are avoiding or ignoring is that GNU people are ascribing
credit for a single principle contributor.  If a contributor of a
dwindling side of a ratio of software is a principle, then so must
everything else be that went into the development of Linux and this
phone that is larger.

GNU has this narrow minded focus that they reason that only themselves
are fit to be titled such and deem that none others are as worthy as
they are.  That is the reasoning presented in your argument.  My
arguments only miss the mark when you decide that only arguments chosen
by GNU are applicable.  That's not how "Open" source works, it's the
community that decides, not a single entity or person.  Since there is
always a huge argument going on this list or that list about
"GNU/Linux", then it is abundantly clear that the community feels your
"mark" isn't being missed.

You can't slap your GNU name on somebody's title of something and lay
claim to it as a principle contributor if you insist that you are the
only contributor of merit worth putting your name in the title.  It
stinks majorly of hypocrisy.  What makes other very heavy contributors
to Linux unworthy of credit in the title?

Why should GNU get title credit and no others?  Why do they ascribe
themselves more worthy than everyone else?  Just because I committed
important bug fixes or new code to sendmail, apache, and the linux
kernel, should I demand my name or organization be prefixed before their
names?  I think not.

I have gnome and kde and a plethura of other software suites and
packages installed on my computers.  GNU software doesn't even come
close to 1% of what I have installed.   Xorg is a collection of
software, -the- underlying collection of software for GUI.  KDE and
GNOME are also collections of software and for anyone that runs GUI,
they are pretty vital.  You can also argue that the underlying KDE/GNOME
software is also core software since it is used constantly and always.

Even disregarding lines-of-code and # of programs, save for ld, I use
other software far more often than I use GNU.  I use the kernel -all-
the time.

As you said, the others do not provide a compiler, linker, debugger,
etc.  Most people don't use lexers, assemblers, compilers, debuggers,
parser generators etc.  On top of that there are alternate tools for
these.  GNU doesn't provide all the shells either.

Most people DO use desktop suites.  Why isn't Michael van Smoorenburg
listed?  His software is the -first- userland software run on the vast
majority of all of these Linux computers including those on desktops
that don't do software development.  His software is also arguably more
important than the GNU collection.

"The purpose in the 'GNU/Linux' qualifier, is to explicitly state that
the system being referred to is an operating environment which is largely
built-from/depends-on the GNU toolchain and includes the linux kernel."

And why do GNU insist on ignoring the far larger contribution of
others?  Your statement about any extra software is identified by the
name of the distribution is quite false.  To my recollection, the same
software packages are available with almost all distributions.  A
distribution name is possibly best associated with the branding, stock
appearances, and package management.  Certainly not to identify all the
non-GNU software.

The _very_means_ you refer to also include non GNU software pretty much
every time.  You argue the developer's toolchain for GNU's case, but
where are all the other tools and software used to _write and build_
Linux software?

It's a strawman argument that GNU is the only entity of merit deemed
worthy of prefixing their name to everyone.  Linux, the OS[1] and
kernel, owes it's life and success to a great many people and
organizations.  Nothing makes any of them any more worthy than any other
to have their name prefixed before "Linux".

I've been developing Linux, the kernel and the OS, since it came on a
floppy.  I never said GNU was trivial or random, don't put words in my
mouth.  I do however say that GNU is not -the- great and glorious
software collection.  I have never said GNU was not worthy of credit nor
that their software is unimportant.  I do argue assertively that:

* they are not the only entity worthy of such distinctive credit, and
* that there is a lot more software out there that is worthy of credit, and
* there is a lot more software out there that other people would
consider as more important, and
* Linux refers to the Kernel and OS, including the GNU software.

Now I hope you can clearly see that I don't follow the cult of all that
is godly GNU and all others are insignificant.

There is no reason why GNU and _only_ GNU should have their name
prefixed in a distribution's title.

Let me try to explain it once again.  You implied that I said GNU was
some random trivial single piece of userland.  GNU software is a
collection of software mixed with a larger collection of softwares.

GNU/Linux brings too much focus to GNU only and blatantly ignores the
larger contributions of other persons and groups.

This argument can and will live on and neither side is going to win.
GNU will narrow-mindedly keep pushing their blind superiority, and much
of the community will keep telling them to stop being so selfish for the
limelight and stand abreast with every other contributor who deserve
just as much credit.

-david

[1] Just like "Band-aid", "Jell-o", "Koolaid", "Styrofoam" etc, have
been abused, the term "Linux" has been used to define not just the
kernel but the entire collection of software so much that it is commonly
accepted correct to refer to such as "Linux" (which will always be
contested by the Olde Guard).