Wiki + Mailing List

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Sun Jan 21 22:20:10 CET 2007

I've used mediawiki a bit on controversial topics; unfortunately it's
no better than a mailing list because it does nothing to quell change
wars.   Also, it's isolating - I think that if the discussion here
can be tolerated, it's better because it's cross-pollinating.   Wiki
discussions tend not to cross-pollinate as much.

Generally speaking, what helps on mailing lists is actually two-
fold.   First, we need to exercise restraint.   I've replied a couple
of times in the past day or so when I didn't need to, and so
contributed noise rather than signal (and perhaps this is another
instance - if so, I apologize).

And then too, if someone from OpenMoko can step in and say "we hear
you, here's what we're going to do, please stop talking about it
now," then that can quell debate - part of what perpetuates debate is
people feeling that the issue is still open.   Sometimes a certain
degree of firmness is required to make it stick that the issue is
closed, of course.   Unfortunately, this is time-consuming, and the
time it consumes is the most valuable time - that of the people who
are actually doing the work right now to make this happen.

So maybe we just have to endure for a while.   I suspect this will
settle out a bit once people have hardware in their hands - real
hardware is very grounding in comparison to imagined hardware, as the
iPhone has shown us.   :')