Free Your Phone

Renaissance Man renaissanceman at macmail.com
Sun Jan 21 22:26:16 CET 2007

On 21 Jan 2007, at 9:01 pm, David Schlesinger wrote:
> I don't actually believe this, other than for the excruciatingly
> small minority of people who hang out on mailing lists such as this
> one. The overwhelming majority of people neither know nor care what
> the operating system on their cellphone is, nor is the idea of one
> cellphone "supporting freedom and community" more than another one
> going to be the least bit meaningful to them.
Both my girlfriend and father are aware of Free Software and what it
means. This is due to me coming across the FSF out of curiosity about
GNU, and then passing that knowledge onto them.
> If people buy phones based on Linux, which could be a fine thing
> for open source developers, they'll buy them because they're
> _better phones_, and for no other reason--that's presupposing that
> they, in fact, are better, of course.
But you're presupposing that people are incapable of treating Freedom
as a factor when the rate a product or service. There's very little
stopping people from judging the Freedom aspect of a product or
service apart from awareness of it.
> But this is strictly a _political_ agenda, and I'm still
> unconvinced that this list is an appropriate place for you to be
> flogging it.
Out of interest can you define your use of "political agenda"?

Renaissance Man