Free Your Phone

Milan Votava votava at mageo.cz
Mon Jan 22 10:28:28 CET 2007

At 05:35 22.1.2007, you wrote:
>On 1/22/07 4:58 AM, "Milan Votava" <votava at mageo.cz> wrote:
>
> > It would be nice to know if Sean's aim is
> >
> > 1. to satisfy his and our need for open source toys like Neo
> >
> > or
> >
> > 2. to earn money like almost everybody on this planet while
> > exploiting geeks like us to achieve his goal :-)
> >

> > I bet the second will prove as true...
>
>I wasn't going to respond to this email, but I find your response quite
>arrogant and feel I need correct you.
>
>Never has this project been about exploiting people. If you ready _any_ of
>our documents you will find that we're trying to create an open ecosystem
>for the mobile industry. Sure I hope this will make us money. Otherwise I
>would have neither A) the credit or B) the financial resources to go on
>pursuing my dreams.
>
>-Sean

(sorry for my English)

Don't get me wrong. I like (and share) your idea and I will try to be
among the first wave of people who will buy the device (if I will be
allowed after my post ;-) ) and start to develop for it.

The only problem I have as a developer with the project is it's real
identity. Today in the time of a 'new' internet economy is becoming
very common to use communities as a part of a business plan and
camouflage this step as another open source geeky projects (like the
ones hosted on sourceforge etc). While I have no problem to invest my
energy and free time to work on these enthusiastic projects I will
be(maybe as a only one in this group) more careful to do the same for
the project where my position will be reduced to become a member of
an external workforce (from the perspective of you or the company
behind it) who is not even on a payroll.

I don't see anything arrogant on my post and I consider my question
as a legitimate one in the context of a really open community.

Milan