Is python built-in

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Mon Jan 22 15:07:03 CET 2007

Salve Mikko!

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Mikko J Rauhala wrote:
> On ma, 2007-01-22 at 14:10 +0100, Robert Michel wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Tomasz Zielinski wrote:
> > > I seriously doubt it. I found python RPM and it has about 10 MB
> > > *compressed*. All default Neo1973 software (including kernel and libs)
> > > must fit in 64MB flash storage...
> >
> > Why? it have a mountable microSD card (1,2, maybe 4 and more GB)-
> > the 128MB RAM is the counting limitation, not the flash ;)
>
> _Default_ software. The default stuff must fit in without a microSD.

Oh I see much power with 64MB flash and I do expect a skripting language
like python fit on the flash. But not every lib must be inside the
flash, right?

> I'll probably install python too, via BT-PAN or GPRS, but I don't expect
> it to be in there by default.

Can I ask you why not via install it via USB (Network or USB flash stick) or
from a microSD card (1GB starts at 16 Euro, 2GB at 46 Euro), why via GPRS?

Big flash on a PCB is quite expensive, why not live with having libs,
programms and data on the micro-SD?
I miss more the chance to use a second micor-SD, or more RAM instead of
worry that the 64MB flash storage could be to small.

Nokias 770 has 128 MB flash but only 64 RAM - when I could choose
I would take a Neo with 32 MB flash when it would have 256 MB RAM ;)
Ok Sean said that the mikro-SD data speed is not so fast, so I'll be
happy to have 64MB flash...

I pleased Sean to make selfmade RAM and Flash upgrade possible - e.g.
with an additional signal line.... but no feedback. Also I fear a
discussion about more Flash or RAM with the v1 is a little bit late,
or Sean?
What would rise the cost for the device with more RAM or Flash?

Ok, you are right, that it makes sence to think about which version of
python and which libs will be used for the default software - but some
feedback form the FIC OpenMoko team could bring more clearness to this
point.

My point was just to stress, that it isn't realy neccessary that all
fits into the flash.

Happy hacking,
rob