built-in scripting languages

Derek Pressnall dpressnall at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 19:37:51 CET 2007

Seeing as how there has been interest in including an interpreted
language with the default software install (such as Python or Perl,
etc.), and the fact that they are too big to fit in the built-in
flash, I would like to offer up an alternative.

I've been developing a small language called 2e
(http://lang2e.sourceforge.net).  It is currently fairly functional,
and the built-in function library has most of the expected functions
for text-based programming.  It also includes a function for loading
in external function libraries that have support for specific gui
environments (i.e., similar to Perl's "use" function).  Best of all,
the compiled binary comes in at 150k or so (depending on compiler
optimizations).

If I put together an external library for it that acts as a binder to
OpenMoko's gtk environment, then would an alternative language such as
2e be useful?  And if there are any requests for the language, I'm
willing to taylor it to specific needs (within the scope of the
language design).