built-in scripting languages

Ben Burdette bburdette at comcast.net
Tue Jan 23 00:07:26 CET 2007

>> So have official/unofficial packages that handle the major scripting
>> languages. That way it's possible to have any scripting language used.
>>
> The only potential downfall may be that everyone ends up with quite a
> few interpreters on their poor little phones... python, ruby, rhino,
> lua, perl, etc, etc..

That's all well and good when everyone has SPACE for every scripting
language known to man.  But use 10mb here, 10mb there for scripting
languages, and suddenly there's nothing left of my 64mb of flash.

I'm all for allowing people to use whatever scripting language they
want.  But I'd like the peace of mind of knowing I can write a scripted
app that will run on every OpenMoko phone out there, even if they have
no memory expansion card.  I don't want the situation where the poor
user has to unload someone else's app and scripting environment in order
to use mine, or vice versa.