built-in scripting languages

Ben Lau xbenlau at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 03:12:28 CET 2007

On 1/23/07, "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie at mages.ath.cx> wrote:
> On 10:12:00 pm 2007-01-22 Corey <corey at bitworthy.net> wrote:

> > > 6M???
> > >
> > > http://openzaurus.linuxtogo.org/feed-browser/?name=lua&action=search
> > > show that it will take much less then 1M
> > >

> Why is this even being discused... you have the ability to add anything to
> the phone once you get your hands on it... SO any scripting languages one
> desires can be added.
>
> Personaly by default there should be none. And let the user decide what he
> wants. For example I prefer ruby over perl, lua or python and I like using
> bash scripts for a lot of stuff. So having lua on my system would be more
> or less pointless as I don't use it myself.
>
> IMHO default install should have the really minimal setup needed to run and
> not one app extra.
>
> --

I also think that it should come with none of any scripting language
beside shell script and Javascript (by web browser). Python/Perl is
too huge. Pre-installed application should avoid the use of them.
Shell script should fit for many application already. The saved space
could be used to pre-install more useful applications or simply leave
it for user to store files.

To fit the need for advanced user, those huge package should be
installed on SD card. However, we must first define the path and ask
the maintainer to follow.

(e.g set PYTHON_PATH to /media/sd/.neo-app/usr/share/python2.4/site-packages)