GNU discussion (was re:Free your phone)

Corey corey at bitworthy.net
Tue Jan 23 04:20:35 CET 2007

On Monday 22 January 2007 20:07, David Ford wrote:
> p.s. the more people blabber about GNU, the more I try to remove it from
> my system and support non-GNU replacements.

That's obviously your prerogative, by all means.

But... wow, talk about throwing out the baby with the bath water.

I'm curious, which GNU software have you replaced non-GNU alternatives?

Anyhow, good luck replacing:

gcc
make
autotools
glibc
coreutils
... and friends.

Now, I'm not using that as an example of how important GNU is, but
rather to illuminate what a complete excercise in futility it would be
for you to make some sort of personal stand by removing GNU
software from your system. In fact, you'll be doubly hosed, because
99.9% of the free software you download and install will also themselves
have been compiled with the above assortment of GNU software.

Shooting oneself in the foot technically, because people can be annoying
socially, is... well... a bit of a misguided solution, to put it lightly.