exchange email?

Redvers Davies openmoko at unixfu.com
Tue Jan 23 05:12:07 CET 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 11:51 -0500, Dean Collins wrote:
> Hmmm well I'm not an expert so whatever you say however from my
> understanding it is the server that notifies the handset that there is
> email available for it not the handset polling the server.

Thinking laterally, since handsets are NAT'd to the outside world it is
impossible[0] for external mail-servers to notify the handset by making
an incoming connection.

The session has to be active the whole time and initiated by the client.

How about, instead of calling it "push-email" we refer to it as
near-real-time.  At least it's more accurate.

I have some ideas as to how this can be achieved without modifying the
mail client.  I don't want to elaborate until I know for sure which mail
client will be the default.

Regards,

Red

[0] For the value of impossible where we don't have access to the cell
companies network configuration.