built-in scripting languages

Tomasz Zielinski tomasz.zielinski at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 11:21:56 CET 2007

2007/1/23, Jay Trister <trister12 at yahoo.com>:

> My opinion -as an end user & as programmer with medium experience- is that
> the phone should implement a stable version of a known& widelly accepted
> scripting language and it should stick with it.

I'm affraid of using interpreted and dynamically typed languages in
embedded environment, like cellphone. Especially when using GSM API --
it's much easier to omit bug in interpreted language on embedded
device than compiled one.

Cellphones we know have GUI so strictly bounded to phone we don't even
mention it. One display check and you know what happens with
connection. OpenMoko will (probably) bahave differently -- man can
even not notice at all that call is active. So if your script calls
somewhere then fails silently, you will pay a lot.

> Summarizing:
> 1. Decide which version of a tested & widelly accepted script-language will
> be used and will be pre-installed (I suggest perl).

Yeah, like times when we were stuck with buggy and poor Java 1.1 in
browsers for over 6 years, then flash came and ruled market.

> 2. Whoever want to use another version/language should include CLEAR
> instalation instruction (step-by-step) for the end-users.

Package dependency should care it.

--
Tomek Z.
tomasz.zielinski at gmail.com