Neo1973 "Car kit" - some pittfalls due laws possible?

Joe Pfeiffer jjpfeifferjr at comcast.net
Tue Jan 23 17:00:52 CET 2007

Robert Michel writes:

>I haven't a car (and if, I wouled be no question to choose th H-box)
>but I have some doubts about the "Car Kit" because I heard that most
>of cars sold the last 10 years have a "gerneal aproval" (Allgemeine
>Betriebserlaubnis) that would expires when a radio transmitter
>(e.g. of a GSM mobil) is used inside during driving without using
>an external antenna.

Speaking as a bit of a car nut, it's hard for me to imagine how a cell
phone could affect the car's electronics...

>A German car driver club (BTW the association/NGO with the most members
>in Germany) has an overview about law pittfalls in Germany around using
>a mobil in a car:
>http://www.adac.de/Recht_und_Rat/verkehrsrecht/verkehrsvorschriften_deutschland/handyverbot/default.asp

I don't speak German (in spite of my last name); is there an English
translation for this?

>Since last Dezember it is forbidden for the driver to touch a PDA/mobil
>computer with a radio(GSM)modul during driving with his fingers:
>http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/81970
>The law which forbit using your fingers to pick up a call or dial a
>inumber in a mobil phone is no expand to a gernal touch forbiddance
>due a judgement.

As a matter of safety, it turns out that the major problem with using
cell phones is the distraction, not having your hands unavailable to
drive (even with a manual transmission).  Car kits do very, very
little to help.

>While it has become allowed to use a mobil and GSM transmitter
>during flying a plain I fear that the laws could be be missused

When has this become allowed?