BT Vehicle Profiles

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Tue Jan 23 17:15:09 CET 2007

Bluetooth connectivity is usually limited by the protocols that the
bluetooth stack supports on the 2-sides. Essentially, are they both
going to speak the same protocol?

It is sometimes possible to write drivers for hardware (at least open
hardware) to add protocol's to the stack. However, what car/system do
you have so that it may help identify which protocol's it expects.

Here is a good intro to Bluetooth technical aspects:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeviceDrivers/Conceptual/Bluetooth/BT_Bluetooth_Basics/chapter_2_section_4.html

Andrew

On 1/23/07, Duncan Hudson <openmoko at dunc-it.com> wrote:
> I have a car that only allows bluetooth connectivity to about 10
> Motorola (old) phones.  Needless to say that's incredibly frustrating as
> my phone isn't one of the listed phones.  As this is going to be an open
> phone could I make the OpenMoko emulate one of these old phones so that
> I can finally connect to my car?  I know nothing about Bluetooth - just
> how involved would this be?
>
> Duncan

Andrew Turner
ajturner at highearthorbit.com        42.4266N x 83.4931W