GPS Outage

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Tue Jan 23 19:00:45 CET 2007

Salve Foucault!

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Foucault de Bonneval wrote:
> just two points about GPS :
> - will the Neo have a GPS connexion for an external antenna. Because
> some car glass don't let signals go through and some people I know had
> to buy antennas for Tomtom (pare brise athermique in French)

Interesting point, but AGPS is working even inside buildings....
the chip will make about 200.000 calculations parallel and so the
AGPS (assisted GPS) will be able to work even with low signal.
I can imagine that there is still enough signal in such cars.

And no. AFAIK it will have no atenna connector - and I think there
will be no need for it.

> - will the V2 carry an FM reciever to get free live traffic (RDS I
> think) information ?

Should be added on the V2 whishlist ;)
Is there already one?

> Thanks to all for the ideas you are suggesting !!!
Adding ideas are important to
- show how powerfull such an smartphone with an GNU/Linux SDK and AGPS
  will be
- and to avoid that companies block innovation by ask for patents for
  ideas - publishing ideas on this list will be a priory against such
  patents :)

So go on to write about your ideas and wishes :)

Real GPS Outage - I would like to see a falling back system
based on GSM cell info, but maybe also some day with digital radio
mondial and accurate time broadcasts so that the device could calculate
the position with the help of mw/ukw radio stations.

Greetings,
rob