idea for Neo 2nd generation: Accelerometer

Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa ildefonso.camargo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 15:02:50 CET 2007

Hi!

On 1/24/07, Robert Michel <openmoko at robertmichel.de> wrote:
> Salve Jose!
>
> Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa schrieb am Mittwoch, den 24. Januar 2007 um 08:44h:
> > >For exemple, we use it only if we are in a game or if the phone is
> > >ringing...
> >
> > If the command were "shake to phone to answer", I could accidentally
> > answer the phone while I play with my kids!
>
> Consider that it will be possible to use a special, typical movement
> to answer the call - not just an uncontrolled shaking.

It is a matter of taste.

I don't like the idea, because I think it is faster and easier to
answer just by pushing a button (or button sequence, if you like).
And the "typical movement" will be hard to detect under "moving
situations" (bus, subway, walk, run, in a car).

> We had already several ideas for using such a sensor on the list
> like this thread:
> http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2006-November/000151.html
> But much more would be possible - so please go on with spreading
> ideas :) I hope v1 will have solder points to add a sensor myself
> or that all our nice ideas confince Sean/FIC/OpenMoko team that the
> v2 must have sensors ;)))

Great ideas!, I just saw them.  The smoke sensor can be made,
freescale sell some really small of these.  And a "mesh" of these
devices, or a "radio beacon" could be useful to locate people when
they are out of the coverage area.

> And consider that many new things become possible with sensors
> and software - so forget a "simple shaking" ;)

The more complicated it is, the harder to make it work under "moving"
situations: say, when you are in the bus.  See, How can I make the
phone to be "steady" for 3 seconds if I'm in the bus?, I just can't.
Even as a game controller, it would be a problem, but it would me more
usuable.

Anyway, I don't like the idea, but other people may like it, and if
you have the SDK, and API access to the accelerometer outputs, then
you can implement it and use it!.

> BTW: I'd like to use a accelerometer or clinometer to look and unlook the
> touchscreen.

It can be done, you just need to filter-out the disturbances.

c-ya!

Ildefonso.