GNU discussion (was re:Free your phone)

Raymond Ward ray at
Wed Jan 24 19:33:33 CET 2007

Declan Naughton wrote:
> On 1/24/07, David Schlesinger <david.schlesinger at> wrote:
>> On 1/24/07 9:51 AM, "Declan Naughton" <piratepenguin at> wrote:
>> here, go
>> "GNU/Mach"
>> >
>> > I might ask about that alright.
>> You do that. Let us know how it works out.
>> When the FSF gets their _own_ little confusions  about who's the
>> 'principal
>> developer" of what sorted out, they'll be in a (slightly) more tenable
>> position to wander in and make demands of others.
>> Until that happens, this demand of yours seems entirely hypocritical,
>> given
>> the genesis of the (soi-disant) "GNU" kernel.
> As far as I am aware, OpenMoko is not using the GNU/CMU Mach kernel..
OK, this is a really silly argument and I have tried to keep out of it
but .... does anyone even know how much "GNU" software is in OpenMoko?
I would assume they are using busybox like every other embedded
machine.  While GPLed, I do not believe that it is GNU program.
Dropbear ssh (another common embedded app) is MIT-style licensed, etc.
How much GNU software must be on the system to qualify as GNU/Linux?