Ready For Prime Time?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed Jan 24 20:28:20 CET 2007

On 24/01/07, Duncan Hudson <openmoko at dunc-it.com> wrote:
> I'm starting to get excited about the phone, and I really don't want to
> see my hopes dashed.  Has an FCC filing been made, is the phone ready to
> go?

I believe so. From
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2007-January/001586.html
:

    2007-03-11 Phase 1: Official Developer Launch
    We will sell the Neo1973 direct from openmoko.com for US$350 plus
    shipping. Sales and orders will be worldwide. We are specifically
    targeting open source community developers.

> What about the multi-point touch screen?  It's wonderful, but
> doesn't Apple have a patent on that?

Kinda.

http://hrmpf.com/wordpress/48/new-apple-patents/
http://hrmpf.com/wordpress/51/apple-multipoint-touchscreen/

Of particular interest to OpenMoko developers will be
http://www.fingerworks.com/gesture_guide_mouse.html
:-)

Good background story at
http://crunchgear.com/2007/01/15/multi-touch-technology-and-where-its-going-nextoh-and-apple-didnt-invent-it-either/