When Good Agendas Turn Bad - Linux/GNU, etc

Richard Franks richard.franks at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Jan 24 20:34:46 CET 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 19:08 +0000, Declan Naughton wrote:
> > The "Free Your Phone" post was perhaps the most interesting announcement
> > we've had yet - Sean thinks we're going to be building the foundation
> > for Ubiquitous Computing - I think he's right, but this positive message
> > was completely overshadowed by an external Agenda and childish
> > bickering.
> >
> When I hear from Sean that freedom discussions are offtopic, I'll
> gladly unregister. I got the idea that freedom WOULD be on OUR agenda
> - not only mine and a good couple of others. If that was ill informed,
> I apologise and I will be out.
>
> Thanks for letting me know, though.

"The side who care about their personal Agenda foremost, and will take
any and every opportunity to present their personal Agenda. Even if it
means misunderstanding or twisting nuance - because, very simply.. the
more we talk about it.. the more free advertising the Agenda gets."

I did not state that anything was off-topic - use your own judgment.

However - this and the threat to unregister if you are asked to stop
pushing your Agenda is a simple case of you escalating the issue to draw
more attention to your Agenda.

Similarly, in light of the threat to unregister, an attempt to invoke
Sean to step in to settle an issue the community can solve itself, is
another escalation.

Or are you saying in other words that you are going to continue pushing
your Agenda at the expense of the community, until explicitly requested
not to, by the list-owner.. at which point your interest in the
technology will magically disappear and you'll unregister, just because
you didn't get your own way?

This is what I meant by "schoolyard politics".

Richard