When Good Agendas Turn Bad - Linux/GNU, etc

Declan Naughton piratepenguin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 20:59:27 CET 2007

On 1/24/07, Richard Franks <richard.franks at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 19:08 +0000, Declan Naughton wrote:
> > > The "Free Your Phone" post was perhaps the most interesting announcement
> > > we've had yet - Sean thinks we're going to be building the foundation
> > > for Ubiquitous Computing - I think he's right, but this positive message
> > > was completely overshadowed by an external Agenda and childish
> > > bickering.
> > >
> > When I hear from Sean that freedom discussions are offtopic, I'll
> > gladly unregister. I got the idea that freedom WOULD be on OUR agenda
> > - not only mine and a good couple of others. If that was ill informed,
> > I apologise and I will be out.
> >
> > Thanks for letting me know, though.
>
> "The side who care about their personal Agenda foremost, and will take
> any and every opportunity to present their personal Agenda. Even if it
> means misunderstanding or twisting nuance - because, very simply.. the
> more we talk about it.. the more free advertising the Agenda gets."
>
> I did not state that anything was off-topic - use your own judgment.
>
> However - this and the threat to unregister if you are asked to stop
> pushing your Agenda is a simple case of you escalating the issue to draw
> more attention to your Agenda.
>
> Similarly, in light of the threat to unregister, an attempt to invoke
> Sean to step in to settle an issue the community can solve itself, is
> another escalation.
>
> Or are you saying in other words that you are going to continue pushing
> your Agenda at the expense of the community, until explicitly requested
> not to, by the list-owner.. at which point your interest in the
> technology will magically disappear and you'll unregister, just because
> you didn't get your own way?
>
> This is what I meant by "schoolyard politics".
>
> Richard

"Threat to unregister" I never knew you considered me to be such a
valuable asset. I posted pretty much exclusively to the GNU/Linux or
Linux related threads.

Whenever I registered I did think freedom discussion would be on the
agenda, and valued, but if it explicitly isn't, that's exactly
opposite to what I was expecting. I would not really be unregistering
in protest, but believe what you want.

"an issue the community can solve itself" I think if the project's
father/s projected their views, what they intended when they began the
project, people who may have gotten the wrong idea can leave if they
wish.

--
Declan Naughton