embedded system research

Jonathon Suggs jsuggs at murmp.com
Thu Jan 25 15:38:12 CET 2007

Check out.
http://www.gumstix.com/
They have a pretty good architecture going on there.  It is pretty easy
to add components in modularly.

I never got any of the actual hardware, but I did a lot of research on
the company when I was looking for an embedded platform.  From what I
hear, they are top notch and have a great support community.

I don't want to keep this on this list too long unless people are
interested in the conversation.

I want gui a) because i can, and b) because i intend to have onboard
display of things such as integrating GPS w/ google maps for location
and directions.

This is also a testbed project for further development for my volunteer
fire department.  Onboard address mapping, database information on
incident address and immediate hazardous material references onboard.
It's also a precursor to electronic incident reporting in the field v.s.
pen & paper reports after returning to station  It doesn't have to be
SOC, it can be a non-discrete unit but should remain semi thin and
small.  The current ~2inch square devices are quite appealing.

It does need to be powerful enough to drive a simple X11 display with
some typical Linux software installed.  A standard 2.5" laptop harddrive
is entirely sufficient.  I'm not sure I want to use a USB or flash
devices as the boot/operating drive yet - I could be swayed.  A base
Linux distro like damn-small-linux is a great reference.

-david