Reactions From Other People to News of OpenMoko

Mary Stovel mstovel at comcast.net
Thu Jan 25 22:39:17 CET 2007

Just a few thoughts.  I recently  discovered  OpenMoko while
researching the Apple iphone.  I am not a developer, but enjoy
reading this forum.   I do not think  the average user knows much
about... the concept of locked and unlocked... much less open.  I am
your general user, looking for an innovative, easy to use phone that
I can use with any provider...which leaves out the Apple iphone.  I
looked at the Nokia E and N series unlocked phones, but expensive and
too many gadgets and programs I don't need or want.

   The OpenMoko appeals to me because it is innovative and cool
looking.   Also, I am tired of having to replace my phone...I have 5
right now that are useless.  I want a phone that can update and add
applications that  I want.   I want a phone that I can just slip in a
sim from what ever provider gives me the best deal.    I was
thinking, if the OpenMoko phone had an easy  way for people to add
applications like the Widgets, the average user would like it.  ( I
would be willing to pay the developer after a trial).   I don't know
any average users that care about using their phone to browse the
web, but I do know a few that would like having a phone that would
let you use one phone at home and away ( like the T-Mobile
Hotspots at home project in Seattle)  A phone that could be used with
Truephone or Gizmo Project would be great.  Sorry to be mentioning
the wi-fi thing again.    I understand  that will be a future thing
for Moko.  Or perhaps, one of you has or will come up with an idea of
another way to connect for free or low cost call.  I use T-Mobile
prepaid and Sunrocket Voip.... cancelled my landline 2 years ago.  I
live in Portland Oregon where free wi-fi is being wired to the whole
city, thus my interest in a wi-fi capable phone.   I would buy the
OpenMoko phone when it is available, because it has great
possibilities and I want to watch it evolve.
Mary