Developers phone also fit for early adopters?

Marcus Bauer marcus.bauer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 01:47:43 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 01:00 +0100, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Marcel de Jong wrote:
> > Hello all,
>
> > I was wondering. I'm not a developer, at least not by profession; I do
> > have a degree in it but my coding skills are very rusty, I'm a
> > software tester (TMAP, but not yet certified).
>
> > So I'm not really a developer, but  I'd still like to get me a phone
> > in March. (can't wait till November or what was it again) :)
>
> > Will the developers phone be ready for usage for non-developers too?
>
> Absolutely not, sorry. This is really "release early and often". It
> will definitely be too rough for non-developers -- that's why we are
> targetting September for mass market.

That's the most braindead shit I've heard since a long time. First it
should come out in January, now it is September. Do you think the other
companies are sleeping? Why are you suddenly playing the weenies? Does
Sean not get the production line up and running?

You constantly talk about "release early and release often", but the SVN
isn't even available. Do you need a huge Carrara-marble tomb-stone with
"Mickey, the inventor of OpenMoko"? We'll give that to you. Really. You
want to make the decisions? Great! Every project needs somebody to give
it directions.

Just get the shit out and stop talking about September. Get the brain
share into it -  nobody will mind if you keep doing the decisions.

This is a great opportunity for Linux/Open Source (add GNU to your
liking. It is called first mover advantage and emerging market. Jeez,
you are Mr. OE, just get that stuff running and the rest will happen by
itself. And yes, it is a good thing if you keep steering it for a while
like a dictator.

Marcus