Developers phone also fit for early adopters?

Marcus Bauer marcus.bauer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 02:40:54 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 01:53 +0100, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Marcus, please watch your tone on this mailing list.

It shall be.

> You obviously didn't follow the news closely otherwise you would have
> already known about
> http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/announce/2007-January/000000.html,
> which clearly indicates the roadmap and talks about September for mass
> market release.

The fact that I didn't answer to that mail doesn't mean I didn't read
it. Should I now say you obviously didn't follow your own annoucements
and didn't read the topic you set on IRC because you said the phone
would come out in January?

But the point is not to get into a fight with you. GPS on a phone is
still a unique selling point, as is the vga screen. People will be adore
to have GPS in summer season while travelling. Publishing it in
September is missing out a whole year.

The competitors wont sleep and there will be at least 20 phones with a
vga screen and GPS next year. The concept of Openembedded is just
magnificent and currently it is a huge window of opportunity. If you get
the production line up and running, just get the bloody phone out.

Somebody posted about the limofoundation today. What do you think
Motorola, NEC, Panasonic, Samsung and NTT are doing? Watching FIC
outgrowing them?

It is the most perfect opportunity for Linux (call it GNU or not) to be
the market leader. Stop talking about releasing early, just do it. All
that is needed is a dialing application.

Marcus