Developers phone also fit for early adopters?

Marcus Bauer marcus.bauer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 04:15:21 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 02:16 +0100, Stefan Schmidt wrote:

> An you mean insulting people and guessing about facts helps us here? I
> don't think so.
>
> Stop insulting

I'll refrain from harsh words.

>  buy your phone in march

I'd buy it today already if it would be available.

> and show us what _you_ can do.

I guess you started Schoeppenstedt. Have a look at the following link -
I think you can imagine the amount of work:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=43.700235601223476&lon=7.271795248877549&zoom=15

I just rendered Schoeppenstedt and uploaded it. Tip for you: the streets
in Schoeppenstedt only get rendered if they have a highway
key/value-pair.

Apart from spending lots of time and energy getting open map data ready
for an open phone, I have the whole OE stack running, have a port of
maemo-mapper running on an iPAQ with CF-sleeve, a desktop version and
would just be happy to get it onto the phone. C, Gtk, gnomevfs,
gdkpixbuf, gconf - all fine with me.

I have been running and developping for familiar, installing it on the
iPAQ via serial line (at least in the begining). I had a look into maemo
and simply believe that OE is the far most advanced platform/build
environment. IMHO it is just so appealing to developers, that you simply
need to get out the bare phone with a bootloader on it and the
developers will flock into the project.

The differentiation between Universe/Multiverse will still leave lots of
steering opportunity for Sean, Michael, Harald - which is good imho.

Marcus