Some thoughts about the real importanted dates for OpenMoko/Neo1973 3GSM World 2007 Barcelona this year ...Re: Developers phone also fit for early adopters?

Marcus Bauer marcus.bauer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 04:58:01 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 03:42 +0100, Robert Michel wrote:
> I don't think that people buy a new phone to going on holiday with the
> new phone - AFAIK the most phones are sold November-January.

People buy phones all year round. And those that do so before their
holidays will come back and make perfect mouth-to-mouth propaganda. And
when November comes the others will base their buying decision on
exactly that. It is perfect leverage at zero cost that you miss out.

I bet that in the christmas season 2008 (not this year) you will have
plenty of phones with GPS and VGA screens. And plenty of big companies
throwing big marketing dollars at it.

> After the flame ware GNU Linux I fear the next flame on this list.
> Marcus your sound was absolutly childish, ego-based and unproductive.

Not at all. The best thing that could happen is a success of OpenMoko
and FIC. Waiting with the phone until after the summer season is a huge
loss in free marketing. Just keep my mail and re-read it in two years.

> On the long term for nobody of us is it important to start in January,
> or March

That's not true. It is a waste of first mover advantage. Once Google
comes out with a phone (unless they buy from FIC and use OpenMoko) the
market gets really tight.

Marcus