dialer interface questions

Jeff Andros jeff at bigredtj.com
Fri Jan 26 07:52:41 CET 2007

hmmm, I think all we're really doing is searching multiple lists... so I
think a case could be made that this doesn't apply, I've got a vague idea
about how some of the patent stuff works, but there's orders of magnitude
more that I don't know compared to what I do.

anyways, you've got a right to be proud if you worked on this, from the
little I can see on their site, it looks really tight... I hope you can give
us a hand with this stuff without getting yourself in trouble.

Thanks

On 1/25/07, Richi Plana <myopenmoko at richip.dhs.org> wrote:

> I don't mean to toot my own horn (up till June of 2006, I worked for Zi
> Corporation as a developer), but you should really check out Qix
> <http://www.zicorp.com/Qix.htm>. Unfortunately, most of that stuff is
> likely patented. I'm not even sure how I can go about developing for
> OpenMoko since I worked as an embedded software engineer at Zi.
>
> At any rate, Qix is fantastic. I'd rather not talk about it (since I
> might mention something not official), but do go read about it on their
> web site and discuss how we could come up with a better interface that
> doesn't violate their patent.
>
> On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 23:28 -0700, Jeff Andros wrote:
> > something I've been wondering about for a long time, but haven't
> > asked:
> >
> > in the interface shots, it looks like the phone is looking up contacts
> > as you type... or maybe it's just showing a list of recent/common
> > contacts.  if it's just showing a list of recent/favorite contacts,
> > that's cool, we can change it after the release, but it would be
> > pretty sweet if the phone could look up people as you type via some
> > kind of lookup method(T9/start dialing a number that's stored in the
> > phonebook/call lists and it completes it/other ideas that I haven't
> > come up with).  in other words, whether you want a phone number you
> > have memorized or a person's name via T9/multipress you just start
> > typing and the list below starts getting pared down
> >
> > my other thought is to enable the dialer to look up a phone number via
> > internet directories... I understand you can't make a data and a voice
> > call at the same time, but it would be nice sometimes to see that it's
> > some business calling... or to have the name of a previous caller
> > filled in after the call (wouldn't have to go "who was 602-555-8956 on
> > monday at 12:00?").
> >
> > I'll put these up on the wiki, but I wanted to know if there was any
> > feedback on this.
> > anyways, not trying to contribute to the noise, but those have been
> > kind of sizzling on the back burner for a while now, wanted to get
> > them off before they burned (because that really stinks up the place)
> --
>
> Richi

Jeff