Required Software

Richi Plana myopenmoko at richip.dhs.org
Fri Jan 26 18:16:59 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 09:00 -0500, Duncan Hudson wrote:
> I'm sure that this has been discussed, but there will be a VPN client
> pre-installed right?  I know it's open source and I'm free to put what I
> want but don't you think there should be a pre-installed client that is
> certified to work with the most popular business and prosumer router /
> vpn boxes.

I've been working with Linux for such a long time and I'm not sure what
that VPN client is. Truth is, though most popular network devices
(Cisco, etc.) use VPN that Linux supports, it's Microsoft's VPN system
that's most prevalent in the companies I've encountered. Does anyone
know which VPN system works with MS? The choices for Linux I'm aware of
are Open/FreeSWAN (IPSec), Cisco VPN 5000 client, PPTP VPN and OpenVPN
(SSL-based).

Security is very important to roaming devices which have to go through
public infrastructures like the Internet.
--

Richi