Neo Carputer (was: idea for Neo 2nd generation: Accelerometer)

Crane, Matthew mcrane03 at
Fri Jan 26 18:32:14 CET 2007

I mentioned this in another thread too, but a usb->svga adapter with
bluetooth, audio, the CAN or other car electronic interface would make a
sophisticated docking station that the Neo would be plugged into when
driving.  Another application that follows would be to use the GPS
combined with a bluetooth headset to make a map system speak it's
directions as your moving, like some car GPS units do, although there is
no open-source system that could do that at the moment.

-----Original Message-----
From: community-bounces at
[mailto:community-bounces at] On Behalf Of Richi Plana
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 12:06 PM
To: community
Subject: Re: Neo Carputer (was: idea for Neo 2nd generation:

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 11:06 -0500, Andrew Turner wrote:
> On 1/26/07, Tim Newsom <cephdon at> wrote:
> > As a side note... In the US and probably other countries there is a
> > standard for the interface to the car computer.  From that interface
> > can get the vehicle speed and diagnostic information about how the
> > engine is running.  It might be interesting to have some kind of
> > bluetooth car interface to obtain that information and display it
> > you while you are in your car.  Anyone ever heard of anything like
> > that?
> >
> You're speaking of OBD or CAN.
> There are some good interfaces out there, though the auto companies
> try to protect their information. It would be neat to build a
> plotter/scanner interface for measuring the car sensors on the Neo
> using either bluetooth or serial/usb.

On my car, the interface is an OBDII. TurboXS <>
has written a program (DTEC Boost Controller Pro (DTEC-BC-PRO)
<>) that turns a Nintendo
Gameboy DS into a Boost Controller. I have a Linux-based carputer that
reads off data from the Subaru, so why not a cellphone (via USB)? It's

OpenMoko community mailing list
community at