Developers phone also fit for early adopters?

Marcus Bauer marcus.bauer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 19:24:16 CET 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 01:35 +0800, Sean Moss-Pultz wrote:

> Marcus, these kind of comments are not constructive at all. Mickey is a core
> member of OpenMoko and is doing an amazing job. You haven't even seen the
> work he's done and you're already bashing us?

I honestly believe that OpenEmbedded is a marvellous solution for
cross-compiling/building. No sarcasm when I say that Mickey deserves a
monument for that.  If he feels bashed I sincerely apologise - rest
assured the opposite is true.

The same goes for saying "dictator": it is a concept that has Ubuntu
made very successful. Mark Shuttleworth calls himself SABDFL, and the
"D" stands for dictator. Nothing bad here. Just a leadership role for
the ongoing development of the Moko-libs, once they are released.

> What is your point? I don't
> see where you're hoping to go with this?

The actual point was a different one: there is no reason to shy away
just because it is not perfect yet. It is understandable that FIC is not
going to spend marketing dollars before the product as a whole has
reached a certain level of maturity.

But if you can produce enough phones, than let all the early adopters
have them, whether they are developers or not.

It simply creates lots of community drive and invaluable mouth-to-mouth
propaganda. Unless you have severe restrictions in the numbers you can
produce, just get as many people onto the phone as possible. Tell about
the quirks and let the people decide if they want to go with it.

The more people, the more feedback, the better the product in September.

Marcus